immigration lawyer practice areas Practice Areas side appointment
practice areas Practice Areas side visa eval
practice areas Practice Areas c2cnew
immigration status practice areas Practice Areas side case
practice areas Practice Areas side avvo

practice areas Practice Areas side fbpractice areas Practice Areas side twpractice areas Practice Areas side inpractice areas Practice Areas you side

E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

The E-1 Visa, also known as the Treaty Trader Visa, is a non-immigrant visa classification that allows individuals from certain treaty countries to enter the United States to engage in international trade.

It is designed to facilitate trade between the U.S. and treaty countries by enabling qualified individuals to conduct business activities within the country. The U.S. has special treaties with several countries.

Requirements for E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

The E-1 visa is designed exclusively for non-native residents of countries with which the United States has a commerce and navigation agreement.

To qualify for an E-1 Visa, both the individual applicant and the business entity they represent must meet specific criteria. Listed below are some of them:

  • The individual and the company that wants to trade in the U.S. must be based in the same treaty country.
  • There must be a significant amount of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • The person must have specialized skills and be in a management position of the company that wants to trade.
  • Majority of the trade conducted must be between the U.S. and the applicant’s country (a treaty country).
  • The trade must be legal under U.S. law.
  • If the applicant is an employee, they must have the same nationality as the employer company and be destined for a supervisory or executive role, or possess skills essential to the company’s operations in the United States.
  • The enterprise conducting the trade must be considered a bona fide enterprise.
  • The enterprise must have made a significant investment in the United States.
  • The investment or trade conducted should be proportional to the size of the enterprise.
  • Applicants must demonstrate their intent to depart the United States upon the expiration or termination of their E-1 status.

How to Apply for the E-1 Visa

Applying for an E-1 Visa requires careful attention to detail to ensure a successful outcome. Here, we attempt to list the required steps that can guide the process:

  1. Confirm the eligibility of both the individual or the company seeking the visa and the treaty country they represent.
  2. Gather all necessary documentation to support the E-1 Visa application, such as:
    1. Completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
    2. Passport valid for travel to the United States.
    3. Evidence of substantial trade, such as invoices, contracts, or purchase orders.
    4. Business registration documents.
    5. Evidence of the nationality of the treaty country’s majority owners, if applicable.
    6. Documents demonstrating the type of trade relationship between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  3. Pay the application fee (non-refundable)
  4. Schedule and attend visa interview.
  5. Await visa application decision. If approved, the applicant’s passport will be stamped with the visa, allowing entry into the United States. If denied, the applicant will receive a written explanation of the decision and any options for appeal.

E-1 Visa Duration and Renewal

E-1 Visa holders are typically granted a maximum initial stay of up to two years. However, the exact duration can vary depending on the applicant’s country of origin. Sometimes, visa holders may receive a visa valid for less than the maximum duration for their country.

For E-1 visa renewal, it is important to apply with USCIS before the current visa expires. Seeking guidance from our immigration professionals or attorneys experienced in E-1 Visa matters can also help navigate the renewal process smoothly and ensure compliance with immigration regulations.

Spouses a Dependents of E-1 Visa Holders

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can accompany the primary E-1 Visa holder to the United States on an E-1D visa.

The spouses can apply for work authorization while the dependents can enroll in schools in the United States. They can also access healthcare services. However, the specifics may vary depending on the state and the healthcare provider.

Other Related Visa Types

E-2 Visa

If a person wants to come to the U.S. for trade or business-related activities, the treaties allow them to apply for a Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa. However, the E-2 Visa is specifically designed for investors from treaty countries who are making a substantial investment in a U.S. enterprise.

RELATED READ: E-1 vs E-2 Visa

L-1 Visa

The L-1 Visa is for intracompany transferees. It allows multinational companies to transfer employees from a foreign office to a U.S. office. It is divided into L-1A for managers and executives and L-1B for specialized knowledge employees.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B Visa is for foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise. It is commonly used by employers to hire skilled workers in fields such as IT, engineering, healthcare, etc.

Contact CFUIS – Treaty Trader (E-1) Visa Lawyer.

To apply for an E-1 Treaty Trader Visa, one must usually attend an interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. This procedure also necessitates the provision of several documents and forms.

Our expertise lies in assisting trade and investment professionals with the complex application process of the E-1 Treaty Trader Visa. As experienced immigration attorneys, we ensure that all essential documents are promptly and precisely processed.

Contact us today at 813.298.7222via email, our contact form or schedule an appointment for expert assistance in streamlining your visa application journey.