Aliens with Extraordinary Ability Visa (EB-1A)
The Eb-1A visa is an employment visa, but it is tied to a person, not to a job. The person must be an expert in the sciences, education, arts, business, or athletics.
Requirement for an Eb-1A visa: Expertise
There are certain things that prove someone is an expert, like winning an international prize for their work. For example, a scientist who has won the Nobel Prize. Another example is an athlete who has won a medal in the Olympics.
You don’t need a specific job lined up in order to apply, but you do have to plan on working in the field you are an expert in.
How to prove expertise
You can still be considered an expert if you haven’t won an international prize for your work. You can prove expertise if three or more of the following statements are true:
- Other experts have written about your work. The articles are in professional publications, like professional journals.
- You have been asked to judge the work of others in your area of expertise.
- You are a member of an association that only accepts people with outstanding achievements.
- You have contributed something new to your area of expertise, and it influences the work of other people.
- You have published articles about something in your area of expertise. The articles are published in professional journals or well-known magazines or newspapers.
- Your work has been shown at artistic showcases or exhibitions.
- You have performed an important or leading role at organizations that only hire experts in your area of expertise.
- You are paid more for your work than other people in the same area of expertise.
- You are successful at the performing arts and have evidence to prove it.
- You have won prizes or awards for your work. The prizes or awards are internationally or nationally known.
Opportunities for family members of Eb-1A visa holders
Immediate family members may apply for permanent residency. This includes spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21. They are usually given permission to work, live, and study in the U.S. The visa holder and family are usually able to apply for citizenship after five years of legal permanent residency.
Getting an Extraordinary Ability Visa is very difficult because the standards are so high. Only a few thousand of this type of visa were approved in the past few years.
We can tell you the best way to prove you are an expert. We can also help you put together the documents that you’ll need. Call us today at 813-298-7222, or email us by clicking here, or schedule an appointment by clicking here.