immigration lawyer practice areas Practice Areas side appointment
practice areas Practice Areas side visa eval
practice areas Practice Areas c2cnew
immigration status practice areas Practice Areas side case
practice areas Practice Areas side avvo

practice areas Practice Areas side fbpractice areas Practice Areas side twpractice areas Practice Areas side inpractice areas Practice Areas you side

EB-1B and EB-1-2 | Outstanding Professor or Researcher Visa

Not many countries in the world value technology and education as much as the United States does. That’s why the U.S. welcomes researchers and professors who are internationally seen as the best.

What is an Outstanding Professor or Researcher Visa (EB-1B or EB-1-2)?

It is a first preference employment-based visa for experts who are offered a job in the U.S. The job must be in the subject they are an expert in.

First preference visas aren’t approved faster

You are more likely to be approved if you’re applying for a first preference visa, but there is still a good chance that you’ll have to wait a while. All employment-based visa applications are looked at in the order that they are received, so you’ll still have to wait for your turn.

Qualifications for an Outstanding Professor or Researcher Visa (EB-1B or EB-1-2)

In order to be approved, you must:

  • Have at least three years of experience teaching or researching the subject you are an expert in.
  • Be able to show that others around the world see you as an expert in the subject.
  • Have a job offer at a university that is tenured or on track for tenure. To research, you must have a job offer that is equal to tenure.

Proof of expertise

To be approved you must show you’re internationally seen as an expert and that your achievements have been praised. There are several pieces of evidence that will be accepted. You must have at least two from the following list:

  • Important prizes or awards you’ve won for outstanding achievement.
  • Membership in associations that only accept people who have outstanding achievements.
  • Articles about your work that are written by other experts and published in professional publications.
  • Participation on a panel to judge the work of others.
  • Articles or books you’ve written about the subject you’re an expert on. Articles must be published in scholarly journals that are read around the world.

Process to apply

Your potential employer has to complete form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, and turn it in to USCIS. But, the potential employer doesn’t have to complete a labor certification. That’s a good thing because the process will be shorter than other visas.

Your spouse and unmarried children under age 21 can usually apply for a visa as well. Five years after getting your green card, you and your family can usually apply to be U.S. citizens.

Talk to an immigration lawyer before applying

Not every person who meets the descriptions above will be approved for an Outstanding Professor or Researcher Visa. “Outstanding” is in the title for a reason because being very good is not enough.

As immigration lawyers, we can help you decide if you should apply for an Outstanding Professor or Researcher visa (EB-1B or EB-1-2). If you should, we can help you complete the right forms at the right time. If you should not apply, we’ll help you decide what other kind of visa is best for you. Call us today at 813-298-7222, email us, fill our contact form, or schedule a phone appointment.