immigration lawyer practice areas Practice Areas side appointment
practice areas Practice Areas side visa eval
practice areas Practice Areas c2cnew
immigration status practice areas Practice Areas side case
practice areas Practice Areas side avvo

practice areas Practice Areas side fbpractice areas Practice Areas side twpractice areas Practice Areas side inpractice areas Practice Areas you side

Asylum Seeker or Refugee Status

What is Asylum?

People whose lives are in danger in their home country can move to another country and apply for asylum. This means asking for permission from another country’s government to live there because it isn’t safe to return home.

Common reasons for Asylum

The person might be unsafe at home because of race, religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or other beliefs that make people want to hurt them or put them in prison. Often the government of their home country also wants to hurt them or put in them prison for one or more of these reasons.

When to apply for Asylum

A person who moves to the U.S. for asylum has to apply within the first year. If the U.S. government agrees, it’s called political asylum or refugee status. It’s usually approved because the person is unsafe at home.

Permanent Residency Status (Green Card)

If someone has political asylum or refugee status the person is allowed to apply for Permanent Residency Status after one year of receiving the asylum or refugee status approval. This means the person can live in the U.S., get a job, and work indefinitely. People who have Permanent Residency Status are given a card to prove they have permission to live and work in the U.S. It is often called a “green card.”

You’re more likely to succeed with a Refugee and Asylum Immigration Lawyer

If you want to apply for asylum, our asylum immigration lawyer is here to help you. There are important documents you need to turn in, and they have to be turned in at the right time. If they aren’t filled out right or turned in at the right time, you might not get asylum or refugee status.

Our lawyers know what documents you need, how to fill them out, and when to turn them in. We will also listen to your fears and answer all of your questions. If you are forced to appear in court, we will be there for you too. Call us today at 800-403-8117, email us, fill out our contact us form, or schedule an appointment.