Has it always been your dream to perform in the U.S.? (Of course, we all dream of being in the land of dreams!) Just as you can enjoy some immigration options as an entrepreneur and new business owner,  you could also seize the opportunity of these special U.S. immigration options for performers and entertainers!

To perform professionally in the U.S., entertainers who are not U.S. citizens or who do not possess a U.S. Green Card must obtain permission to enter the country. It entails applying for the appropriate U.S. entertainment visa and work authorization for paid performances in theatre, television, and film.

There are unique U.S. visa immigration options for entertainers, which include:

  • P-1B visa (Member of an entertainment group)
  • P-2 visa (Performer under Reciprocal Exchange Program)
  • P-3 visa (Entertainer to be part of a culturally distinctive program)
  • P-4 visa (Dependents of P-1B, P-2, and P-3 visa holders)

Applicants must ensure that they select suitable visas, as these types are limited, and there are stringent and specific criteria for visa acceptance.

In addition, one should meet the fundamental reasons for admissibility, including the condition of good character. The adjudication process will take criminal convictions into account.

To understand the proper visa to apply for, there will be a need to have more in-depth knowledge of these visa options.

visa application form

P-1B Visa

The P-1B visa is intended for internationally renowned entertainment groups and is valid for up to one year or a shorter period as necessary for a particular performance or occasion. Individual candidates are not eligible for it. The P-1B visa may also apply to support personnel deemed crucial to the group’s performance.

The U.S. employer of the entertainment group (or its U.S. agent) submits a petition to USCIS along with a contract between the employer/agent and the entertainment group/persons. In addition, a schedule of the events taking place in the U.S. must be submitted.

P-2 Visa

The P-2 visa is for a performer entering to perform under a Reciprocal Exchange Program, Individually or as a Member of a Group. Likewise, they must have talent on par with U.S. musicians and entertainers participating in the program outside the United States.

To apply for a P-2 visa, the U.S. employer or sponsoring organization must submit a P-2 petition to the USCIS and a written consultation from the appropriate labor organization. It is necessary to prove that the U.S. organization participated in negotiations or agreed to the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and international artists and entertainers.

P-3 Visa

Artists and entertainers may qualify for a P-3 visa if they intend to travel to the U.S. to perform, teach, or coach, alone or in a group, as part of a culturally specific program.

The P-3 visa is only available to artists and entertainers traveling to the U.S. to create, interpret, represent, coach, or teach a folk, musical, unique, traditional ethnic, artistic, theatrical, or cultural performance. Furthermore, they must be visiting the country to participate in cultural activities that will further their knowledge of or progress in their field of art.

Ladies with U.S. flag

The U.S. employer or the sponsoring organization must submit a P-3 petition to the USCIS with a letter of recommendation from the appropriate labor organization. However, petitioner may argue that a labor organization does not exist in the context. Also, petitioner may use either affidavit, testimonials, or letters from reputable experts attesting to the individual’s or group’s expertise in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the distinctive and traditional art forms or documentation proving that the individual’s or group’s skills are legitimate. Additionally, a schedule outlining the dates and locations of the activities is required if the performances or events occur across several locales.

P-4 Visa

Spouses and minor children (under the age of 21) of P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa holders may qualify for P-4 visas. P-4 dependents can study full- or part-time but cannot work in the U.S.

Getting professional guidance can help you choose the appropriate options and determine whether you need to, for instance, also seek a waiver of inadmissibility to address your prior criminal record.

Interested in showcasing your talent in the U.S.? Utilize our immigration services by calling, sending an email, filling our contact form, or scheduling an appointment.

Want to know more about special immigration options for you? Here is the Renowned Athletes and Artists Gateway to America.